Friday 9 November 2018

Unseen Signs of Mold Growth after Water Damage Has Impacted Your Oconto, WI Home

Posted at 2:00 PM

Most household molds aren’t especially dangerous to the average Oconto, WI, homeowner. They may be an eyesore or a frequent annoyance in your refrigerator, but a few spores here and there aren’t the end of the world. That is, of course, if they aren’t hidden beneath the surface and growing. Mold growth after water damage isn’t always an inherent danger, but when it’s hidden from the naked eye, it can grow into a serious problem before you even know it. The mold removal specialists with ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings encourage homeowners to keep a nose to the ground for signs of hidden household mold after water damage has occurred.

Hidden mold isn’t completely undetectable to the average person. While it may be beneath the floor, behind the wallpaper, or behind the pipes, it doesn’t mean the mold is impossible to find. Mold can have a distinctive odor. Many people are familiar with the concept of a “basement smell.” It’s musty, sometimes damp, and pervasive among the affected space. If a room in your home has experienced water damage and is developing a musty or damp smell, it may be a sign that mold removal is on the horizon.

If your nose isn’t picking up the scent, it may be because you’re too congested to notice. Sudden or slowly worsening allergy symptoms can also be a sign that mold has taken root somewhere in your home. Allergy indicators can include itchiness around the eyes, throat, and nose, or sneezing and sniffling. If you’ve never had allergy symptoms in your home before the water damage, sudden onset sniffling might be trying to tell you something.

Skin rashes or itchy skin can also be caused by mold spores, or in extreme cases, breathing or lungs can be impacted by toxic mold.  If you’re finding yourself with sudden rashes or other physical reactions at home, you may be having a reaction to mold spores. Unless extreme water damage has taken place, it’s rare for mold to reach this level of severity, but if you’re having trouble breathing at home, don’t hesitate to reach out to mold removal professionals immediately and consult your health care providers.

Mold removal, when done effectively, can help alleviate a wide variety of mold-induced symptoms. If your Oconto, WI, home has been impacted by water damage, contact the mold removal professionals at ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings today. Call us at (920) 336-7411 or visit our website for additional information.