Fall is in full swing in Oconto, WI, which means cool days and chilly nights are here. For many homeowners, this is the time of year when they start to weigh the benefits of giving in and switching the heat on. During these transitioning seasons, it’s sometime just easier to heat a single room rather than the whole house, which is where space heaters truly come in handy. However, the fire damage mitigation specialists at ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings want all homeowners to remember that even the tiniest space heater can cause huge trouble.
Modern space heaters are pretty slick and quick-acting, but even the newest models pack the potential for fire damage if they’re not handled properly. Since most people only use space heaters for part of the year, there’s an awful lot of downtime where something can go wrong before they’re pulled back into action. Though not necessarily the most common cause of winter fire damage, space heaters still need a good amount of careful handling if you want to keep your house warm, but not burning.
After you pull your space heater out of storage, always perform a full inspection before heating it up. Look carefully at the cable, the unit itself, and the instructions. Fire damage can be caused by a frayed cord, or by something stuck inside which ignites unexpectedly. Prevent surprises by knowing all you can about your unit.
If you’ve determined your space heater isn’t a fire damage risk, find a safe place to keep it while it’s in action. You want it somewhere where it won’t melt anything or heat something that shouldn’t be heated. If you use it and notice any odd smells, power down the unit and wait until it can be re-inspected before using it again.
If your space heater malfunctions and you experience fire damage in your Oconto, WI, home, contact the ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings fire damage mitigation experts at (920) 336-7411, or visit our website here.