I'm on your walls, I'm on your clothes, I'm white, I'm black, and I tickle your nose. What am I? The answer might not be as obvious as you think.
Many Oconto, WI homeowners may use the terms "mildew" and "mold" interchangeably, and some may only attribute the word mildew to the musty smell that comes from a damp room. But beyond the distinct olfactory experience, is mildew really different from mold? The truth is, the two are indeed related, but they are technically different types of home infestations. Luckily, if you're looking into mold removal services offered through companies like ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings, then both mold and mildew will fit the bill, even if they're not exactly identical.
Mold covers a huge range of different fungi and growths, but in the traditional sense, it's known for its dark, fuzzy appearance and its potential for causing health problems. Mold can come in black, blue, green, and many other colors. Its severity as a health threat depends on the extent of the water damage that caused it as well as the length of time it's been present in a location. Home mold removal is vital because without speedy attention, it can eat away at your house… or your lungs. So does mildew pose the same threat to your health?
On the contrary, mildew is definitely mold's milder cousin. It's known for its "powdery" appearance and its common manifestation in bathrooms and kitchens. The color spectrum for mildew is more limited to blues, whites, and yellows and it can grow on the surface of flowers or other plants. It does also possess that distinctive scent that makes it memorable (and annoying) to have in your home, but unless you have specific allergies, it's less likely to pose much of a threat. Mildew is also a fungus that can grow on walls, in paper products, and even on fabric. If your awesome Halloween costume from 2005 is smelling a little funky, mildew might be the culprit. This sets it apart from mold as well, since mold rarely grows on these materials unless severe water damage has occurred.
However, it's important to keep in mind that mildew can be a precursor to mold because it indicates an overly damp environment. This is why, even though it's less blatantly dangerous, mildew should be treated with the same strict rules as traditional mold removal. If you see it, treat it. And if you don't know how to treat it, consult a professional.
Residents in the Oconto, WI area should contact ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings for mold removal consultations as soon as a mildew or mold infestation becomes apparent. Excessive moisture in your home could be pointing to deeper problems below the surface. An expert mold removal team will know how to determine if further action is needed. Call ServiceMaster RRH today at 920.336.7411 or visit their website here for details. When it comes to mold or mildew, don't be afraid to contact a specialist before the situation escalates.