You want to avoid disaster restoration of a flooded basement in Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Although ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings could provide that disaster restoration, why not try to prevent your basement from flooding in the first place?
Follow these steps to create an air-tight case for your basement:
- Remove any debris from roof gutters. You’ll know they are clogged when water spills over the side of the gutter rather than down the spout. Use downspouts long enough to keep water at least three feet away from your foundation.
- Repair any exterior foundation cracks with epoxy. Indoors, use masonry sealer. Water is too insidious to not fix even the smallest of cracks.
- If your sump pump is below ground level, free the well of any debris. Locate a portable model at the lowest point of the basement. Of course, connect it to a power source.
- Arrange for someone to inspect your sewer or to clean your septic tank. If this has not been done in a while, heavy rainfall could create havoc with your systems.
- Install window well covers over below-ground-level basement windows. The clear acrylic variety will admit light but prevent water damage in Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay.
- Invest in a generator if your area experiences numerous power outages.
- Although expensive, you could always opt for flood insurance. Only you can decide if the investment is worth the risk.
Without a solid foundation, your home could suffer extensive damage. It pays to ensure you keep your basement as flood-free as possible.
If, despite your best efforts, you experience water damage in your basement in Green Bay and Sturgeon Bay, WI, contact ServiceMaster Recovery by Restoration Holdings for your water damage cleanup needs. If you call immediately after a disaster, you will get the best results, as deterioration can escalate over time.